Once you get your body pierced, your piercer will give you a list of instructions on how to keep your piercing safe. Failure to care for your piercing can result in infection.
Clear or slightly whitish secretion is quite normal as it occurs due to natural healing. However, if you have an infection, you may secrete a green or bright white liquid from your pierced area. Also, if any red lines appear on your piercing or your lymph nodes appear to be swollen, this isn't a part of the natural healing process. So, you should definitely seek out medical help.
Some people can have an allergic reaction to metal, which results in skin irritation. This can often be mistaken as a piercing infection. However, it isn't too difficult to tell an infection and metal allergy apart as metal allergy has far less-severe symptoms, such as small bumps and inflamed or itchy skin.
If you find out that you have any allergies, you should switch to high quality, nickel-free jewelry.
These small bumps that are quite similar to pimples can often be mistaken for an infection. Caused by an accumulation of dead skin cells under the skin, pustules can be quite irritating. While it may be enticing to pop them, you can further end up irritating your piercing by doing so.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before cleaning or touching your piercing.
- Rinse your piercing with sterile saline at least thrice a day.
- Avoid using any products containing alcohol to avoid skin irritation.
- Don't take out your piercing jewelry as it can cause the hole to close, trapping the infection.
- Clean both sides of your piercing properly and pat it dries with a paper towel.
In case you aren’t sure of your symptoms, you should instantly seek medical attention or at least pay a visit to your piercing specialist to let them take a look. Either way, infections can spread quite quickly, which is why you should get instant help!